Mr Jim Milne, has been appointed Acting Commissioner and took up duties from 26 August 2013. Mr Milne will be filling this role while there is a recruitment process taking place.
OpenGov NSW is a searchable online repository for NSW Government publications. OLSC annual reports are now also available on this site. To access, click the OpenGov NSW button
During the Christmas/New Year holiday period the OLSC will close from 5pm Wednesday 24 December 2014 and reopen 9am Monday 5 January 2015
The Office of the Legal Services Commissioner (OLSC) is an independent statutory body that deals with complaints about lawyers under the Legal Profession Act 2004 (NSW).
The OLSC consists of the Legal Services Commissioner and staff who advise and assist the Commissioner in the exercise of his functions and powers. The Legal Services Commissioner receives all complaints about solicitors and barristers in New South Wales. In addition to receiving complaints, the Legal Services Commissioner:
- Oversees the investigation of complaints;
- Plays a major role in resolving consumer disputes; and
- May take disciplinary action against a solicitor or barrister, or commence disciplinary proceedings in the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) - Occupational Division.
The OLSC cannot:
Provide legal advice or representation;
Investigate or change court findings;
- Investigate a complaint in relation to a matter that is currently before a court; or
Deal with complaints about judges or magistrates.
For legal advice you may contact LawAccess, a free government service that provides information and referral to services that can help you with your legal problem. Alternatively, the Legal Information Access Centre (LIAC) provides free access to legal information through the State Library and NSW public libraries.
About Us has more information about the OLSC.
Call our Inquiry Line on toll free 1800 242 958 for help and information
- Legal Profession Act 2004
- Solicitor's Rules
- Barrister's Rules
- Law Society of New South Wales
- NSW Bar Association
- Conference of Regulatory Officers
- Other Regulatory and Complaint Handling Bodies